Friday, March 19, 2010

Granola!

My friend, LeAna, who blogs here is one of the most creative people I know. She also really likes healthy food and even healthier versions of granola :) She posted this recipe on her blog. I was wanting to make it for forever and then my sister, Chelsea, made it and said that it was fabulous and so I am making it right now! I didn't change the recipe at all or write it down for you in a wittier fashion. I am simply transcribing her recipe and using a really old digital camera to take pictures that aren't half as good as hers. :)

If you are still reading, the recipe is so good and "healthier" because it isn't made with oil like every other granola recipe and is therefore lower in calories. This recipe makes a lot so I halved it for our family of two.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup water
8 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups slivered almonds
cinnamon
1/2 cup milled flax seed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon salt



Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees

Melt water and brown sugar in microwave for 3 minutes or until all the sugar is dissolved.



In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, cinnamon and flax seed.



Stir extracts and salt into dissolved sugar mixture. Pour into oats mixture and stir in until oats are coated. Spread out onto two greased cookie sheets.

Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and stir granola around. Return to oven for another 20 minutes and then remove and let cool on cookie sheet where granola will continue to harden up. LeAna says burnt edges around the granola will ruin the whole batch so watch carefully at the end.



Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. yum yum YUM! Make sure you have someone on the couch to remind you to turn on the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carissa--love the new blog! I saw it on Ben's status and decided to check it out. I found the granola recipe on LeAna's blog and I now make it every week...somehow Jeff and I finish the whole recipe in a week! Can't wait to keep up with all your recipes, projects and adventures--sounds like you and Ben are doing well!

    Love, Lauren Klein

    ReplyDelete