Sunday, March 7, 2010

Drapes!

I just finished up my first major project involving my sewing machine! Benny bought me this sewing machine as his wedding present from him to me. He didn't purchase it until we had already been married for six months and I didn't open the box for another three. It took about three hours to figure out how to thread the bobbin and then I didn't use the machine for another two months or so (and had to relearn how to thread the bobbin). Whew!



So to date (nearly a year since I opened my sewing machine box) I have hemmed our shower curtains and made two napkins. Napkins! I was beginning to despair...my dreams of getting discovered as 'middle' fashion designer were starting to seem grandiose...and then...drapes! I made drapes!

Ben's grandmother passed away early this year. She was a phenomenal seamstress. So when we were sorting out her apartment we discovered her old sewing box filled with a hundred or so different colors and types of thread, sewing tools and fabric...beautiful fabric. Her son, Walt, had brought her back bolts of fabric during the war and it was all fabulous. And it was generously pushed into my arms. The fabric I chose to use for our drapes was a teal silk.



And then, because we are renting, and because the fabric is so beautiful, I didn't want to cut and hem the fabric to the appropriate length. So borrowing an idea from bustling a wedding dress, I bustled the ends of the fabric to preserve the length in case of future longer drapery needs.



So, cheers to my first success (completion) and to many more projects to come!

And thanks to Benny for being such a good sport (helping me with the curtain rod) on a Saturday morning. :)

2 comments:

  1. The drapes look great!!! And what a great idea to bustle them so as to preserve the fabric! Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Rachel really is one of my best friends ever. I told her not to read my blog yet because I hadn't posted much, but if she was going to read my blog I wanted her to make some comments so it seemed like I was writing about things worth commenting about and therefore reading about...and then she writes such a fantastic comment! She is so encouraging...the kind of girlfriend every girl needs!

    ReplyDelete