Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Memphis

Several weeks ago we went to Memphis for our friends,' Emily & Joel, awesome wedding. Ben, despite, having lived in Germany for a summer and traveled Europe extensively has only been west of the Mississippi River once. I have just never been to Memphis.

We left Saturday morning from Atlanta, driving through 4 different states arriving just in time for Barbecue. We went to Rendezvous which is by far the BEST barbecue I have eaten. And just in case you are such a fool as I, do not ask for unsweet tea. They don't have it and I don't think they liked being asked. :) But it is a delicious dry rub and I highly recommend the place. Even, I, pseudo vegetarian, ordered ribs and licked my fingers.





We walked down Beal street and Ben sang, "Walking in Memphis" unabashedly on repeat for about an hour. Okay, we both sang it. :) We walked along the Mighty Mississip and then, just to say we did, we drove over to Arkansas to complete our five states in one day travel spectacular.



We went to Emily & Joel's wedding at the Memphis Zoo that night which was truly fabulous. I'll have to do a post soon on the homemade decorations which I plan on recreating and decorating our apartment with. (It will go with our 'stick art.')

The next morning we drove to Shiloh, Tennessee. For those of you who aren't married to a Civil War buff, the Battle at Shiloh was the deadliest to date in the Civil War. There is a national park in Shiloh commemorating the battle and we spent probably four hours retracing steps of the confederate and union troops. Mind you, this is after we had already listened to 6 hours or so of a lecture series in the car from iTunes U from a Yale professor. He made me wish I were still taking college courses so now I listen to him, Professor Blight, on my commute to work.



Things have been pretty busy around here. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if this is just the way life is or just the way life is in your mid 20's without children living in a big city. I kind of just feel succumbed to this life, someone else's plan for my life. Hmmm. More on this later, or hopefully sooner. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment