Sunday, April 18, 2010

A place for everything...well...almost everything

The Saga of our Shrinking Kitchen

First of all, as an aside to this new post, are some thoughts on this blog in general. A) I need to blog more often--I am going to blog more often. I really enjoy blogging and, thus, because I enjoy it I relegate blogging to the "if I have time category" of my life which is like 7 minutes a day. Boo :( C.S. Lewis said that we should spend our time doing things we either need to do or love to do. And frankly, I spend a lot of time doing things that are neither, i.e. watching TV, checking facebook, cleaning incessantly, sleeping more than eight hours a night, etc. But I really love blogging: there should be more of that. B) I need to blog more about things that Ben and I will want to look back on: memories, things we have learned, things we have unlearned, life events and the like--a catalogue of our life as it happens and what we think about it.

But onward to our post for today: our kitchen! This is one of those things I want to remember: the size and idiosyncrasies of our kitchen: tiny and lacking in the appliance department. But I am NOT complaining because I love our apartment and our miniature kitchen. Some day I want to do a blog on our apartment in general: somewhere between 400 and 500 square feet I would guess. It's half the second story of a large 1920's home and it has character. But today, we appraise and applaud our kitchen!

There is little more Ben and I love to do together other than cook, which by that I really mean, he cooks and I act as his sous chef. I'm not bad but he really thrives in the kitchen. And our kitchen is just big enough for the two of us.



It has a teeny tiny oven which we have unbelievably cooked a Thanksgiving turkey in.


Looks like our oven needs to be cleaned...


This is our "dishwasher."


Our kitchen also has artistic flare...notice how the traditional black and white checkered linoleum is actually a black racing stripe through the middle of our kitchen.


And our pantry...

(Which, I know you won't believe me, is actually pretty well organized. Benny can't find anything but I know where everything is in our cupboard :) Also, you may have noticed there are at least 4 bags of flour in the picture--and there is more. They were on sale, a really good sale, which still drives Benny crazy because we clearly don't have a lot of room for buying in bulk. But I couldn't pass it up.

And lastly, our garbage disposal...

Which actually comes in pretty handy, Benny that is. We don't have a lot of leftovers around here and we wouldn't have the space if we did. And yes, he is drinking a glass of milk with whipped cream and a cherry. There is no one quite like my Benny :)


This is our first place and I really don't think I have loved any place more!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm impressed--you guys are resourceful to say the least! Esp. with that pantry organization. (I'm a sucker for stocking up on good grocery deals, too, particularly with cereal or oatmeal. Michael just shakes his head!)

    And I love the racing stripe down the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you this weekend, and now it's great to get a glimpse into the Moser Abode! I'm not surprised that you two are able to pull off big things in such a small place.

    ReplyDelete